Tomato Salad with Basil and Balsamic
This quick and easy tomato salad recipe is the best way to highlight the natural flavor and sweetness of fresh summer tomatoes!
Servings 4 - 6 people
- 4 cups halved cherry tomatoes (or chopped larger tomatoes)
- ¼ cup finely diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil (or more to taste)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
Combine tomatoes, onion and basil in a bowl.
In a separate bowl or jar, whisk or shake together olive oil and vinegar. Pour over tomatoes and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Serve immediately, or allow the salad to marinate for about 30 minutes – 1 hour at room temperature or in the fridge (if you prefer a cold salad).
- Stir in diced avocado just before serving.
- Fresh mozzarella or feta cheese are both tasty additions to the tomato salad.
- Add diced cucumber -- another delicious summer vegetable that pairs nicely with the fresh tomatoes.
- Use additional fresh herbs such as thyme, oregano, chives or parsley, if available.
- Add chickpeas or white beans to turn this into a more satisfying entree salad.
- Use the freshest, ripest garden tomatoes for the best flavor. Cherry tomatoes are my top pick, if available.
- If using larger tomatoes, chop them into large chunks. You don't want the tomato pieces too small, or they will fall apart and taste more like a salsa or relish than a hearty salad.
- Enjoy the salad within about 1 hour of preparation for the best texture.
Serving: 1/6 of the salad | Calories: 66kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 13mg | Potassium: 232mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 486IU | Vitamin C: 23mg | Calcium: 14mg | Iron: 1mg