Strawberry Chicken Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing
A quick, light, and flavorful lunch or dinner salad that's ready in just 15 minutes!
Servings 4 people
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 3 cups chopped Romaine lettuce
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, diced
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup slivered almonds, toasted and salted
- 3-4 cups cooked, shredded or sliced chicken (such as the meat from a store-bought rotisserie chicken)
- ½ cup Brianna's Poppy Seed dressing, or more or less to taste (or use this recipe for homemade dressing)
In a large bowl or platter, or on individual plates, arrange spinach and Romaine.
Top with strawberries, celery, feta, almonds and chicken.
Drizzle with poppy seed dressing, to taste. Serve immediately.
- You can quickly toast almonds (or other nuts) by stirring them in a dry skillet over low heat until fragrant. For an even easier method, I place the almonds on a microwave-safe plate and cook on HIGH for a total of about 1 ½ - 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds. You'll know they're done when they're browned and fragrant. No matter which toasting method you use, keep a close eye on them because nuts can burn very quickly! Season the warm almonds with a little bit of salt.
- Instead of a rotisserie chicken, try boiled chicken, roasted chicken or grilled chicken.
- Just about any lettuce or greens will work, so feel free to substitute with your favorites.
- Use blueberries, blackberries, raspberries or peaches in lieu of the strawberries.
- I like Brianna's Poppy Seed Dressing for a delicious shortcut, but you can also make your own poppy seed dressing with this recipe.
- Pick your favorite dressing. If you don't care for poppy seed dressing, a homemade buttermilk ranch or balsamic vinaigrette would be delicious, or try a pepper jelly vinaigrette for a little bit of heat. Green goddess is also a great choice!
- Instead of almonds, try walnuts or pecans.
- Add sweet green peas instead of the celery.
- Swap out the feta cheese and use blue cheese, goat cheese, Parmesan cheese, or fresh mozzarella cheese.
- Add onion -- finely diced red onion, sliced green onion, chives, or even pickled red onions would all be great.
Serving: 1/4 of the recipe | Calories: 521kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 40g | Fat: 31g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 109mg | Sodium: 465mg | Potassium: 944mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 5361IU | Vitamin C: 55mg | Calcium: 169mg | Iron: 3mg