Roasted Green Beans
These crispy roasted green beans pack a flavorful bite, thanks to smoky bacon, zesty red onion, savory garlic and bright lemon juice. Garnish with fresh herbs and toasted almonds!
Servings 6 - 8 people
- 2 lbs. fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 slices regular bacon, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- Optional garnish: toasted slivered almonds
Preheat oven to 425° F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
Spread green beans, onion, garlic and bacon in a single layer on the prepared pan. Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper; toss to coat.
Roast in the oven until the vegetables are browned and tender, about 20-25 minutes. If you prefer your green beans a brighter green color with a more crisp-tender texture, roast for just 15-20 minutes. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper, if desired. Garnish with fresh thyme and toasted almonds.
- Make sure that the green beans are very dry when you add them to the pan. You don't want them to "steam" in the oven with too much liquid. Instead, you're looking for browned and crispy roasted vegetables.
- Use an extra large rimmed baking sheet or divide the ingredients between two smaller baking sheets. You want to spread out the ingredients as much as possible in a single layer so that the vegetables and bacon turn crispy.
- To quickly toast the slivered almonds, place them on a microwave-safe plate and microwave on high in 30-second intervals until golden brown and fragrant. This usually takes a total of about 1 ½ minutes. I like to sprinkle a little bit of kosher salt on the nuts while they're still hot, too!
- Cooking for a smaller family? Cut the ingredients in half to prepare just 1 pound of green beans. The rest of the cooking instructions remain the same.
- If you prefer your green beans crisp-tender with a brighter green color and less browning, roast them for just 15-20 minutes.
- Use ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder in lieu of the fresh garlic cloves.
- Instead of the red onion, use a sweet Vidalia onion. You can also omit the onion altogether if you prefer.
- Omit the almonds for a nut-free dish, or substitute with chopped, toasted macadamia nuts, pecans, walnuts, or pumpkin seeds.
- Substitute other fresh herbs for the thyme. Good options include chives, rosemary, oregano, basil or parsley.
Serving: 1/8 of the recipe (not including option almond garnish) | Calories: 145kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 9mg | Sodium: 315mg | Potassium: 291mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 788IU | Vitamin C: 16mg | Calcium: 47mg | Iron: 1mg