Amish Friendship Bread without Starter
Yes, you can make Amish Friendship Bread without starter! This easy cinnamon quick bread is moist and tender (thanks to pudding in the mix)!
Servings 2 loaves (about 10 slices per loaf)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (5.1 ounce) large (6-serving) box vanilla instant pudding mix
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the Topping: ¼ cup granulated sugar + 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease two 8½ x 4½-inch loaf pans; set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, dry pudding mix, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, oil, sugar, buttermilk and vanilla extract.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients; mix just until combined (do not over-mix).
Divide the mixture evenly between the two prepared loaf pans.
In a small bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon topping. Sprinkle over the two loaves.
Bake at 325°F for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a loaf comes out clean.
Cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely before slicing and serving.
- Make sure to use a large (6-serving) 5.1 ounce box of vanilla instant pudding mix. The smaller 4-serving box will not be enough for this recipe.
- Do not prepare the pudding according to the package instructions. You only need the dry mix here.
- To prevent quick breads or Bundt cakes from sticking to the pan, I prefer to use a baking spray (that includes flour). It also helps to run a knife around the outside of the bread while it's still warm and cooling in the pan.
- I prefer a light colored loaf pan (rather than a dark pan), because the darker pans tend to brown or burn the outside of quick breads before the inside cooks through.
- Be careful not to over-mix your batter. Gently fold, just to combine. Too much mixing will yield a tough, dry loaf.
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 224kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 26mg | Sodium: 154mg | Potassium: 72mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 56IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 35mg | Iron: 1mg