Grilled New York Strip Steak Recipe
With basic ingredients and a quick, simple preparation, this Grilled New York Strip Steak recipe lets the meat's robust natural flavors shine!
Servings 4 people
- 2 lbs. New York strip steak
- 1-2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose seasoning (or more or less, to taste)
About 15 minutes before grilling, remove the steaks from the refrigerator and let sit at room temperature. Pat the steaks dry with paper towels, rub with olive oil, and season with all-purpose seasoning on both sides.
Heat the grill to high. Place the steaks on the grill and cook until slightly charred, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn the steaks over and continue to grill for 3 to 5 more minutes, or until the steaks reach your desired level of doneness. The specific time will vary depending on the size and thickness of your steak, so use an instant-read thermometer to know when your meat is done. It should be 125-130° F for rare, 135° F for medium-rare, or 145° F for medium.
Transfer the steaks to a cutting board or platter and let rest for at least 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Scale up or down the ingredients depending on how many people you plan to serve. You can easily cook twice as many steaks, or cut it back to just 1 pound of meat.
- Seasoning: we love the simple combination of herbs and spices in our all-purpose "house seasoning," but you can substitute with any seasoning blend of your choice. Pick your favorite steak seasoning blend, or just use a good amount of kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper.
- Indoor Grilling: if you don't have access to an outdoor grill, you can grill these steaks on the stovetop by using an indoor grill pan. Just make sure that the grill pan is preheated really well over high heat so that you can achieve that great sear on the outside.
- Room Temperature Meat: Let the steaks rest on the counter at room temperature for at least 15 minutes (or up to 30 minutes) before grilling. This will take the chill off of the meat and help the steaks to cook more evenly.
- How to Season New York Strip Steak: Don't over-do the seasoning --- you just need enough kosher salt to help draw out moisture, create a nice sear, and flavor the meat; you don't want too many other ingredients that will detract from the natural flavor of the steak. That's why we love a light dusting of the simple combination of garlic, onion, parsley and basil in our all-purpose seasoning. Just some plain kosher salt, freshly-ground black pepper and a pinch of garlic powder will also work well!
- Use a Meat Thermometer: As explained above, the total grilling time will vary. Use an instant-read thermometer to know when your meat is done. For a medium-rare finish, the beef should reach an internal temperature of 130-140°F.
- Let the Meat Rest: Allow the steaks to rest on a platter or cutting board for at least 5-10 minutes before serving. This will give the juices time to redistribute through the meat so that they don't all run out onto your cutting board.
Serving: 1/4 of the recipe | Calories: 542kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 47g | Fat: 38g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 181mg | Sodium: 118mg | Potassium: 717mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 26IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 62mg | Iron: 4mg