Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots
Fresh, tender carrots are tossed in a sweet, buttery brown sugar glaze for a crowd-pleasing, easy side dish that always wins rave reviews!
Servings 6 people
- 1 ½ lbs. carrots, peeled and sliced into ½-inch thick rounds
- ¼ cup salted butter, cubed
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly-squeezed orange juice
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
In a large skillet, bring about 2 cups of water to a boil. Add carrots, reduce the heat to low so that the water is at a simmer. Cover and cook for 7-9 minutes, or until crisp-tender. Drain off the water and set the carrots aside in a bowl.
In the same skillet, cook butter, brown sugar, orange juice and salt over medium heat until the butter melts. Let the sauce bubble and thicken for 3-5 minutes. Add the carrots back to the skillet and cook, stirring, until the carrots are warm, about 1 more minute. Garnish with fresh parsley.
- Honey Glazed Carrots: substitute an equal amount of honey for the brown sugar in the glaze.
- Maple Glazed Carrots: use maple syrup instead of brown sugar in the glaze.
- Glazed Baby Carrots: instead of peeling and slicing whole carrots, you can substitute with an equal amount of baby carrots.
- Ginger: add about 1 tablespoon of minced fresh ginger to give the dish some nice "zing!"
- Cinnamon: about ¼ teaspoon of ground cinnamon is a lovely warm addition to the glaze.
- Whiskey or Bourbon: swap out the orange juice and use bourbon or whiskey in the glaze instead. If using the alcohol, remove the skillet from the heat once the glaze has thickened, then stir in the whiskey or bourbon just before adding the carrots.
- Fresh herbs: for some fresh, savory flavor, try adding some chopped fresh herbs to the carrots in addition to the parsley garnish. Minced rosemary, tarragon or thyme would all be a nice touch.
- Make them spicy by adding a pinch of cayenne to the glaze.
Serving: 1/6 of the recipe | Calories: 151kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 246mg | Potassium: 387mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 19242IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 1mg