You can quickly and easily stir together a pan of bakery-style Honey Cornbread that's moist, fluffy, buttery, and way better than a box of Jiffy mix!
Servings 9 squares
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Preheat oven to 400° F. Grease an 8-inch or 9-inch square baking pan. Set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt.
In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk, honey, melted butter and oil. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring just until combined. Do not over-mix.
Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Slice into squares and serve warm.
- Use a finely-ground yellow cornmeal. Coarse cornmeal will give the bread a more grainy (rather than soft) texture.
- Let the batter rest for 5-10 minutes before baking, if you have the time. This allows the baking powder to activate and incorporate more air.
- Don’t over-mix the batter or it will become too dense, and you'll end up with dry cornbread.
- To check if the cornbread is done, insert a toothpick into the center and make sure it comes out clean. Don't cook for too long, or it can dry out.
Serving: 1square | Calories: 249kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 46mg | Sodium: 196mg | Potassium: 261mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 175IU | Calcium: 96mg | Iron: 1mg