These sweet and tangy old-fashioned Lemon Squares are easy to make from scratch with just 10 minutes of prep!
Servings 24 squares
FOR THE CRUST:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter, melted
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup confectioners sugar, plus extra for dusting at the end
FOR THE FILLING:
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
In a large bowl, stir together melted butter, flour and confectioners sugar until completely combined. Press the mixture into the prepared baking dish. I like to use the flat bottom of a measuring cup to gently press the crust into an even layer.
Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown, then remove from the oven and set aside.
While the crust is in the oven, make the filling. In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour and baking powder. Add the eggs, lemon juice and lemon zest; whisk until completely combined.
Pour the filling over the hot crust. Return to the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
Cool completely on a wire rack. Dust with additional powdered sugar, slice into squares and serve.
- Use a glass baking dish if possible, or a ceramic dish as an alternative. Metal pans can sometimes give the bars a metallic aftertaste.
- Use freshly-squeezed lemon juice (not bottled juice) for the best flavor.
- When zesting the lemon, be sure that you’re only scraping off the outer layer of the peel (this is where the essential oils and delicious flavor can be found). Be careful not to grate any of the white pith from the fruit, because that is bitter and definitely not what you want in your bars.
- Allow the bars to cool completely before dusting with sugar and slicing. I like to cool the bars at room temperature for about 1 hour, and then refrigerate the pan for at least 2 more hours before cutting.
- If you notice little white bubbles on the top of your bars after baking, that's totally normal. These little air bubbles rise to the top as the eggs cook. Just dust the cool bars with powdered sugar and the bubbles will be undetectable!
Serving: 1square | Calories: 196kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 48mg | Sodium: 79mg | Potassium: 36mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 276IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 12mg | Iron: 1mg