Ham and Potato Casserole
An easy, cheesy, ham and potato casserole is made from scratch with just 20 minutes of prep!
Servings 6 - 8 people
- 1 cup crushed Corn Flakes cereal (about 1 ¾ cups whole cereal before crushing)
- 6 tablespoons salted butter, divided
- ½ cup finely-diced onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme (or ¼ teaspoon dried thyme)
- 3 cups diced ham (about 16 ounces total)
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 2 lbs. (about 4 medium) russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (less than ¼-inch thick)
- 8 ounces (about 2 cups) grated cheddar cheese, divided
- Optional garnish: chopped fresh parsley
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish; set aside.
Combine crushed Corn Flakes with 2 tablespoons melted butter in a small bowl; set aside.
In a large skillet, saute onion in 1 tablespoon of butter until soft, about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 more minute. Add remaining 3 tablespoons of butter to the skillet and stir over medium heat until the butter melts. Add the flour and whisk until blended. Gradually add the milk and chicken broth, whisking constantly. Continue whisking and cooking until the sauce bubbles and thickens. Remove from heat. Stir in the thyme and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add 1 cup of the grated cheese and stir until the cheese melts.
In the prepared baking dish, spread half of the potatoes in an even layer. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with half of the ham and half of the peas. Pour half of the sauce over top. Repeat layers once more, ending with the remaining sauce on top.
Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour. Remove foil, sprinkle with remaining 1 cup of grated cheese, and top with the buttered Corn Flakes. Return to the oven (uncovered) for about 10-15 more minutes (or until the topping is golden brown and the potatoes are tender). Let the casserole rest for about 10 minutes before serving (the sauce will thicken as it cools). Garnish with fresh parsley just before serving.
- Use frozen corn kernels in lieu of the frozen peas.
- Ham, Green Beans and Potatoes Casserole: Instead of peas, add canned green beans or frozen, cut green beans to the casserole.
- Ham Potato Broccoli Casserole: Swap out the peas for broccoli instead! Frozen baby broccoli florets are the perfect bite-size pieces to throw directly into the casserole. If you can't find the baby broccoli florets, use regular frozen broccoli florets and chop them into smaller pieces or quickly steam them in the microwave to soften them a bit before adding them to the dish.
- Pick your favorite cheese -- Swiss, Gruyere, Pepper Jack and Colby will all work well.
- Don’t have Corn Flakes? You can substitute with Ritz cracker crumbs or even crushed potato chips. I don’t recommend using plain bread crumbs, since they’re lacking in flavor.
Serving: 1/8 of the casserole | Calories: 497kcal | Carbohydrates: 58g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 78mg | Sodium: 1261mg | Potassium: 742mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 1394IU | Vitamin C: 33mg | Calcium: 274mg | Iron: 11mg