French Fried Onion Chicken
An easy weeknight dinner with just 10 minutes of prep! Your family will love this crispy and flavorful baked French Fried Onion Chicken!
Servings 4 people
- 4 chicken cutlets (or 2 large chicken breasts halved lengthwise) (about 1 – 1 ½ lbs. total)
- Lawry’s seasoned salt, to taste
- 2 cups fried onions
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 eggs, beaten
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and place a wire rack on top. Spray the wire rack with cooking spray. Set aside.
Pat chicken dry with paper towel; sprinkle with seasoned salt on both sides.
In a large Ziploc bag, combine fried onions, flour and garlic powder. Use a rolling pin or meat mallet to coarsely crush the fried onions. Transfer to a shallow dish.
Place the eggs in a separate shallow dish.
Working with one piece of chicken at a time, dip the chicken in the egg and then dredge in the onion mixture, gently pressing to make sure that both sides are evenly coated. Place the chicken on the prepared wire rack; repeat with remaining chicken.
Bake chicken until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F – about 20-25 minutes.
- Shake off any extra egg before dredging the chicken in the coating. This will prevent a soggy coating.
- Place the chicken on a wire rack on top of a baking sheet. This will prevent the bottom of the chicken from getting soggy in the oven. I like to line the baking sheet with foil for easy cleanup!
- Cooking times will vary, depending on your oven, on the size and thickness of your meat, and on the temperature of the chicken when it goes into the oven. Use a meat thermometer to know when your chicken is cooked through -- it should register an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. The inside will no longer be pink and the juices will run clear.
- Offer a side of honey mustard for dipping with the sweet onion chicken.
- Double the recipe to feed a larger family, or cut all of the ingredients in half to serve just two!
Serving: 1chicken cutlet | Calories: 334kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 113mg | Sodium: 381mg | Potassium: 435mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 93IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 12mg | Iron: 1mg