Amish Chicken and Corn Casserole
This easy chicken casserole is a wholesome dinner that's made from scratch with simple ingredients.
Servings 4 people
- ¼ cup salted butter
- ⅓ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk (I use 2%), at room temperature
- 2 cups chopped, cooked chicken
- 2 cup corn kernels (fresh, frozen or canned)
- ¼ cup Ritz cracker crumbs mixed with 1 tablespoon melted butter
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 2-quart baking dish and set aside.
In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Sprinkle with flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add celery salt and salt, stir to combine. Slowly add milk, whisking constantly, until combined. Bring the sauce to a simmer and cook, whisking constantly, for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
Add chicken and corn to the sauce; stir to combine. Transfer mixture to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle buttered cracker crumbs over top.
Bake, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes (or until heated through and browned on top).
- The sauce will thicken as it cooks in the oven, so don't cook it for too long on the stovetop. If it seems too thick before adding the chicken and corn, you can add a little bit of milk to thin, as necessary.
- Add additional seasoning or herbs, to taste. Good options include thyme, oregano, parsley, basil or chives.
- If you like a lot of Ritz crackers on your casserole, double the crumb topping and use ½ cup of cracker crumbs mixed with 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Don't have Ritz crackers? You can substitute with Corn Flakes cereal crumbs, crushed potato chips, or other crackers (such as saltines or Keebler Club crackers).
- Fresh corn cut off the cob, canned corn, or frozen corn will all work in this recipe. If using frozen corn, you do not need to thaw it before adding it to the sauce.
- Add Green Vegetables. In addition to the corn, try adding frozen peas, cooked broccoli florets, green beans, or any of your other favorite vegetables.
Serving: 1/4 of the casserole | Calories: 427kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 107mg | Sodium: 1153mg | Potassium: 469mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 616IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 167mg | Iron: 2mg