Tuna Melt Recipe
This classic tuna melt recipe is an easy, affordable and satisfying lunch or dinner that's ready for the table in less than 30 minutes!
Servings 4 people
FOR THE TUNA SALAD
- 3 (5 ounce) cans tuna fish in water, drained really well and flaked
- ¾ cup finely diced celery
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 ½ tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- ¼ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper, plus more to taste
FOR THE MELTS
- 8 slices thick white bread or 4 English muffins, split
- 2 tomatoes (about 1 lb.), sliced ¼-inch thick
- 8 slices sharp cheddar cheese (or sub with provolone, Swiss, American or other favorite cheese)
Prepare tuna salad by stirring together tuna, celery, mayonnaise, pickle relish, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Arrange bread or English muffins on a rimmed baking sheet. Place about 6-inches from the broiler and toast until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
Spread about ½ cup of tuna salad over each slice of toast, top with sliced tomato, then the cheddar. Broil 6-inches from the heat until the cheese is melted and starting to brown, about 3-6 minutes.
- To add even more flavor to the tuna salad, try mixing in fresh herbs like dill, chives or parsley, a dash of garlic powder, a squeeze of lemon juice, a dollop of Dijon mustard, or minced red onion.
- Instead of using English muffins or white bread, try making the tuna melt with a toasted bagel, leftover hamburger or hotdog buns, or a baguette.
- Tuna Melt Panini: make the sandwich closed (rather than open-faced) and press it on a grill pan or panini press. Don't forget to butter the outside of the sandwich or brush with olive oil.
- Tuna Melt Wrap or Tuna Melt Quesadilla: use flour tortillas instead of bread, and toast the wrap or quesadilla on a griddle or in a skillet.
- Tuna Bacon Melt: it might not be as traditional, but everything's better with bacon, right? Add a couple of strips of cooked, crispy bacon to each sandwich.
- Tuna Avocado Toast: this is your "fancy tuna sandwich recipe!" Top the toasted bread with sliced or mashed avocado in addition to the tuna salad, tomato and cheese.
Serving: 1tuna melt | Calories: 550kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 32g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 79mg | Sodium: 1088mg | Potassium: 487mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1025IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 263mg | Iron: 3mg