Light and flaky, rich and buttery, these easy Drop Biscuits are a quick way to add a special homemade touch to any meal.
Servings 12 biscuits
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (I prefer White Lily brand)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup very cold buttermilk
- 8 tablespoons warm, melted, salted butter (plus additional 2 tablespoons melted for brushing)
Preheat oven to 475 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt. In a separate bowl, stir together 8 tablespoons of warm melted butter with the cold buttermilk (you should see little clumps of butter form, which is good).
Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture and fold together just until everything is combined (do not over-mix).
Spray a ¼-cup scoop with cooking spray and use the scoop to drop the batter 1 ½ -inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
Bake on the middle rack of the 475 degree F oven until the tops are golden brown – about 12-14 minutes.
Brush the biscuits with the remaining 2 tablespoons of melted butter, then transfer to a wire rack to cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Add Cheese: A cheddar drop biscuit is a great companion for a bowl of chili or soup! Fold ½ cup (2 ounces) of grated cheddar into the dough before scooping and dropping. You can also use Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack, or even Parmesan cheese in this recipe.
- Herbs and Scallions: A ¼ cup of thinly sliced green onions would be a nice addition to this dough. Try sprinkling some fresh minced rosemary, thyme, dill, or basil into the dough as well.
- Green chilies would be a fun addition for a Tex-Mex meal.
- Diced pimentos and some grated cheddar will give the biscuits even more Southern flare.
- Sweet Drop Biscuits: Add more sugar -- about ¼ cup -- and a dash of cinnamon. Use these as a dessert with fresh berries and whipped cream for shortcake.
- Recipe slightly adapted from America's Test Kitchen.
Serving: 1biscuit | Calories: 174kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 27mg | Sodium: 297mg | Potassium: 150mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 325IU | Calcium: 72mg | Iron: 1mg