Corn Chowder Recipe
Creamy and flavorful, this easy Corn Chowder recipe is full of smoky bacon, sweet corn, tender potatoes and fresh herbs!
Servings 10 cups
- 4 ounces bacon (about 4 strips), chopped
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and diced into ½ -inch dice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cans (8.25 ounces each) cream-style corn
- 2 cups milk, cream or half-and-half
- Kernels from 4 ears of corn (or about 3 cups of frozen corn kernels)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional garnish: additional cooked, chopped bacon; thyme or parsley
Fry chopped bacon in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, just until lightly browned and the fat has rendered. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until softened (about 5 minutes). Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds). Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Slowly stir in the broth, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
Add celery, potatoes, bay leaf, thyme, and cream-style corn. Bring to a simmer and cook until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally (about 15-20 minutes).
Stir in the corn kernels and milk (or cream). Simmer over low heat (do not boil) until the corn kernels are tender, but still slightly crunchy (about 5 minutes). Discard bay leaf, stir in parsley, and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
If using milk instead of cream, I recommend whole milk for a creamy and rich taste and texture. I do not recommend skim milk or other reduced-fat or non-dairy varieties.
If available, fresh corn off the cob is the most flavorful addition to this chowder. If it's not available, frozen corn kernels will also work.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 200kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 12mg | Sodium: 583mg | Potassium: 472mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 203IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 72mg | Iron: 1mg