Sour Cream Chicken
Your family will love this tender and juicy Sour Cream Chicken, which is topped with buttery Ritz cracker crumbs and grated Parmesan cheese!
Servings 4 - 6 people
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2 lbs. total)
- ¾ cup crushed Ritz crackers (about 15 whole crackers or half of a sleeve)
- 2 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- Optional garnish: chopped fresh herbs such as parsley, basil or thyme
Whisk together sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, salt, paprika, garlic powder and pepper. Add the chicken to the sour cream mixture and toss to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour (or overnight).
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a large baking dish with cooking spray (about 9 x 13-inches or any other size dish that comfortably holds your chicken).
Remove the chicken from the sour cream mixture and place in the prepared baking dish. Discard marinade.
In a small bowl, combine cracker crumbs and melted butter. Press buttered cracker crumbs on top of each chicken breast. Sprinkle with Parmesan.
Bake, uncovered, for 35-45 minutes or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Garnish with fresh herbs and serve.
- Since the size and thickness of chicken breasts can vary greatly, I suggest using a meat thermometer to know when your chicken is done. The meat needs to reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- The nutritional information is merely an estimate and includes all of the sour cream sauce. If you discard excess marinade, the nutrition stats will vary greatly.
- Sour Cream Chicken Thighs: Use the same ingredients and baking process with boneless, skinless chicken thighs. The thighs will likely need less time in the oven, so reduce the baking time to a total of about 25-30 minutes.
- Don't have Ritz crackers? Substitute with other buttery crackers (like Keebler Club crackers). In a pinch, crushed saltines or even crushed Corn Flakes cereal. I don't recommend using plain breadcrumbs, because they don't have the flavor or texture that you get from these other options.
- Freshly-grated Parmesan cheese or the powdered Parmesan cheese in a can will both work well in this recipe.
Serving: 1/5 of the chicken and sauce | Calories: 393kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 128mg | Sodium: 1172mg | Potassium: 606mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 680IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 97mg | Iron: 1mg