Fried Green Tomatoes Recipe
You don't have to wait for your next restaurant meal to enjoy a Southern Fried Green Tomatoes recipe this season.
Servings 4 people
- 2 green tomatoes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup buttermilk or cream
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- Vegetable oil, canola oil, or peanut oil, for frying
Slice tomatoes into ½ -inch thick slices. In a shallow dish, mix together flour, salt and pepper. Place the egg and buttermilk in a separate shallow dish, and the cornmeal in a third dish.
One at a time, dip the tomato slices in the flour mixture, then into the egg mixture (shake off the excess), and then dredge in cornmeal. Place on a wire rack on top of a baking sheet and refrigerate for 15-30 minutes.
Pour oil in a cast iron skillet or Dutch oven to a depth of about 1 inch. Heat oil over medium heat to a temperature of about 325 degrees F. Without crowding the skillet, fry tomatoes in batches until golden brown on one side (about 3 minutes). Then gently turn and continue cooking until golden on the other side. Remove to a paper towel-lined tray, season with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.
- The tomatoes are best when served warm, straight from the skillet.
- Nutrition information is merely an estimate and will vary greatly depending on how much flour, egg and cornmeal adhere to each slice of tomato, and how much oil is absorbed by each tomato in the frying process.
- Season with salt and pepper as soon as the hot tomatoes come out of the skillet (this will help the seasoning actually adhere to the tomatoes).
- To keep the tomatoes warm while you cook subsequent batches, place the tomatoes on a baking sheet and keep in a 200 degree F oven until ready to serve.
- While I recommend serving the tomatoes immediately, you can keep leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. They do not freeze well.
- To reheat fried green tomatoes, place in a 350 degree F oven or toaster oven for 5-10 minutes, or until heated through and crispy.
Serving: 1/4 of the recipe | Calories: 395kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 23g | Cholesterol: 21mg | Sodium: 170mg | Potassium: 216mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 425IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 2mg