Virginia Crab Imperial
A traditional Crab Imperial tastes fancy, but this easy dish is ready for the oven in just 10 minutes!
Servings 4 people
- 2 tablespoons finely diced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely diced onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¾ cup mayonnaise, divided
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1 lb. crabmeat (jumbo lump, lump or backfin)
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray 4 (8-ounce) ramekins or one (1-quart) casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside.
Sauté the bell pepper and onion in butter to soften. Cool before mixing.
In a large bowl, whisk together ½ cup of the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, egg, pepper and Old Bay seasoning. Stir in the cooled vegetables. Add the crab and gently fold to mix, being careful not to break up the crab.
Divide the mixture among the 4 prepared dishes. Use the remaining ¼ cup of mayonnaise to spread about 1 tablespoon on top of each dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Bake for about 20 minutes, or until browned and bubbly.
- Make Ahead: You can prepare the Crab Imperial up to 1 day in advance and keep it covered in the refrigerator until ready to bake. Allow the dishes to come to room temperature on the counter for at least 30 minutes before baking. It's perfect for entertaining!
- Leftover Crab Imperial will keep in the refrigerator for 1-2 days.
- Do not freeze Crab Imperial. The creamy mayonnaise mixture will "break" when thawed.
- To reheat Crab Imperial, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place the dish in the hot oven and bake just until the dish reaches the desired temperature (about 10 minutes).
- Cooking Just for Two? Cut all of the ingredients in half and bake two portions of the recipe instead of 4. The rest of the instructions remain the same.
Serving: 1ramekin | Calories: 433.5kcal | Carbohydrates: 1.3g | Protein: 22.4g | Fat: 36g | Saturated Fat: 7.9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1.6g | Cholesterol: 155.7mg | Sodium: 708.8mg | Potassium: 35.2mg | Fiber: 0.1g | Sugar: 5.1g