Sauteed Kale with Bacon
A delicious way to enjoy healthy leafy greens! Sauteed Kale with Bacon is a flavorful, tender and a perfect side dish recipe for just about any meal.
Servings 4 people
- 1 large bunch of kale, chopped with stems removed (about 8 oz of kale after trimming)
- 2 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (about 1 clove)
- ¼ cup chicken broth, beef broth or water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crispy. Use a slotted spoon to remove the bacon and set aside. Reserve 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings in the skillet; drain off the rest.
Add the garlic and cook until soft, stirring constantly (about 1-2 minutes). Add the broth and kale; toss to combine. Cover and cook for 3-5 minutes, or until leaves are tender and bright green. Remove cover and continue to cook and stir until all of the liquid evaporates. Add vinegar, drizzle with maple syrup, and season with salt and pepper. Garnish with crispy bacon just before serving.
- This looks like a lot of kale, but it cooks down significantly! If you're serving a family of more than 3 or 4, I recommend doubling the ingredients.
- If you don't have thick-cut bacon, use 3 slices of regular bacon. You want to make sure that you have plenty of drippings in the pan and enough cooked bacon to crumble on top.
- Just a teaspoon of maple syrup adds a tiny hint of sweetness to balance the smoky, savory flavor that you get from the bacon. If you don't have maple syrup, you can omit that ingredient or use brown sugar instead.
- Chicken broth or beef broth adds another layer of flavor to the greens; however, you can substitute with water in a pinch.
- The acid from the apple cider vinegar gives the dish a brightness and brings all of the flavors together. If you don't have vinegar on hand, you can substitute with lemon juice.
Serving: 1/4 of the recipe | Calories: 55.4kcal | Carbohydrates: 4.3g | Protein: 3.1g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1.1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1.1g | Cholesterol: 6.3mg | Sodium: 136.3mg | Potassium: 134.9mg | Fiber: 1.1g | Sugar: 1.7g