This sweet Southern Skillet Cornbread comes together in about 10 minutes with just a handful of pantry staples.
Servings 8 slices
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- ¼ cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk (or sub with regular milk)
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¼ cup oil (plus extra for greasing skillet)
Place a 10-inch cast iron skillet in a cold oven. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F, leaving the skillet in the oven while it heats.
Meanwhile, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
Add the buttermilk, egg and oil. Stir to combine.
When the oven has come to temperature, pour about 2 tablespoons of oil into the hot skillet (or enough to thoroughly coat). Use a brush to evenly spread the oil. Pour batter into the hot, greased skillet. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- If you don't have a cast iron skillet, you can use any other heavy oven-proof skillet.
- I use either vegetable oil or canola oil for this recipe. You want a neutral-tasting oil with a high smoke point for greasing the skillet.
- Instead of using oil in this recipe, try substituting with bacon grease! It's a great way to add flavor to the cornbread -- even if you just use the bacon drippings to grease the skillet.
- Optional add-ins: 1-2 chopped jalapeño peppers, 1 cup fresh blueberries, 1 cup shredded cheddar or Pepper Jack cheese, or orange zest and dried cranberries.
- Cornbread is best when freshly baked and warm from the oven, but you can prepare it up to 8 hours in advance and leave it on your countertop until ready to serve.
- How to store Skillet Cornbread: To extend the life of your cornbread, wrap it tightly and store at room temperature for 1-2 days or in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- Wrapped tightly, you can freeze cornbread for up to 3 months. Thaw the cornbread on your countertop before enjoying.
- To reheat leftover cornbread, wrap in foil and warm in a 350 degree oven for about 5-10 minutes. You can also microwave individual slices of cornbread just until warmed through — about 20-30 seconds.
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 216.6kcal | Carbohydrates: 31.4g | Protein: 4.7g | Fat: 8.6g | Saturated Fat: 1.1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4.4g | Cholesterol: 25.8mg | Sodium: 566.8mg | Potassium: 128.7mg | Fiber: 1.6g | Sugar: 7.9g