Taco Casserole with Rice
This Taco Casserole with Rice includes layers of zesty ground beef, tomatoes, corn, gooey cheese and crunchy tortilla chips for an easy dinner that the entire family will love!
Servings 6 - 8 people
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced (or about 1 cup of frozen pre-diced onion for a shortcut)
- 2 cans (10.75 ounces each) condensed tomato soup, NOT diluted
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (1 ounce) packet taco seasoning mix
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 cups cooked rice (I use 2 packets of Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice microwaved according to package instructions)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, NOT drained
- 1 (11 ounce) can corn with red and green bell peppers, drained
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup crushed tortilla chips
- Optional garnish: chopped fresh parsley, green onions, or cilantro
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
Cook beef and onion in a large skillet over medium-high heat until meat is no longer pink (about 5-7 minutes). Drain.
In a separate bowl, stir together condensed soup, milk, taco seasoning and salt.
Add cooked rice, soup mixture, tomatoes and corn to the cooked beef. Stir to combine. Transfer to prepared baking dish. Sprinkle cheese over top.
Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly. Top with crushed chips, allow to rest for 5 minutes, and then garnish with parsley, green onion or cilantro just before serving.
- You’ll need 4 cups of cooked rice for this recipe. I like to use two packets of Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice for a shortcut, which I can microwave in minutes. If you prefer, you can cook your own rice on the stovetop or use leftover rice from a previous meal.
- Any variety of cooked rice will work — brown rice or white rice.
- If you don't have "Mexicorn," you can substitute with regular canned corn or with canned fire-roasted corn. Frozen corn kernels will also work!
- For a spicier casserole, swap out the petite diced tomatoes and replace them with a can of Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies.
- Instead of the hamburger meat, try using an equal amount of ground turkey or ground chicken.
- Serving a smaller family? Cut all of the ingredients in half and prepare the casserole in an 8-inch square baking dish. The smaller casserole will probably only need about 20 minutes in the oven, but the rest of the instructions remain the same.
Serving: 1/8 of the casserole | Calories: 464.1kcal | Carbohydrates: 53.9g | Protein: 19.9g | Fat: 18.9g | Saturated Fat: 7.8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.8g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6.4g | Cholesterol: 59mg | Sodium: 1140.3mg | Potassium: 766.5mg | Fiber: 3.2g | Sugar: 14.4g