Ground Beef Dinner with Summer Vegetables
This healthy and easy Ground Beef Dinner with Summer Vegetables is a one-pot 30-minute meal!
Servings 4 people
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 lb. lean ground beef (I used 93% lean)
- ½ cup diced onion
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 10 ounces frozen corn kernels (or 2 cups fresh corn kernels)
- 1 medium zucchini (about ½ lb. total), diced
- 1 cup seeded and diced tomato or 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves)
- 1 ½ teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves (or ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves)
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Optional garnish: grated Parmesan cheese; additional fresh herbs
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef, onion, garlic, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cook until the beef is no longer pink (breaking up the meat as it cooks), about 5-7 minutes. Drain.
Reduce heat to low; stir in corn, zucchini, tomato, basil, thyme, butter and Worcestershire sauce. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 more minutes (or until the vegetables are tender). Season with additional salt and pepper, to taste.
- This is a mild dish with simple seasoning such as salt, pepper, garlic, basil and thyme. You can play around with the spices that you use by adding more seasoning for stronger flavor; by mixing up the herbs and using parsley, cilantro, rosemary, or oregano (for example); or by including cayenne or crushed red pepper flakes for a little bit of kick. Additional spices that go well with ground beef include curry powder, mustard powder, cinnamon and cumin. Just taste as you go and adjust to suit your preferences.
- You can swap out the beef for an equal amount of ground turkey.
- Make this dish at any time of year! If you don't have access to much fresh summer produce, you can use frozen (or even canned) corn and canned, diced tomatoes (drained).
- Melt shredded cheese on top of your warm ground beef dinner, or garnish with Parmesan at the very end.
- This healthy ground beef dinner recipe includes just 296 calories per serving, 11 grams of fat, 26 grams of carbohydrates and a whopping 25 grams of protein!
Serving: 1/4 of the recipe | Calories: 296.3kcal | Carbohydrates: 26.3g | Protein: 25.8g | Fat: 11.7g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 77.8mg | Sodium: 287.1mg | Potassium: 518mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5.4g