Oven BBQ Chicken Breast
Bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts are coated with a sweet-and-sour homemade barbecue sauce and roasted in the oven for an easy, flavorful dinner. The meat is crispy on the outside and incredibly juicy on the inside!
Servings 4 people
- 3-4 lbs. bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- ⅓ cup white vinegar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus extra for seasoning the chicken
Preheat oven to 400° F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet or roasting pan with foil (for easy cleanup) and spray with cooking spray.
Pat chicken dry, season liberally with salt and pepper, and place on the prepared pan.
In a separate bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients. Set aside.
Bake the bone-in chicken breasts uncovered for 25 minutes. Baste with the sauce and return to the oven for 20-35 more minutes, basting once or twice more while the chicken continues baking. The meat is done when the skin is crispy, the juices run clear, and an instant-read thermometer reads 165° F when inserted in the thickest part of a breast.
- This recipe works best with bone-in, skin-on chicken (boneless, skinless breasts just aren't as good). The bones and skin keep the white meat incredibly moist and juicy in the oven, and add so much extra flavor. Even if you prefer to pull off the skin before eating the meat, I highly recommend cooking the chicken with the skin still on.
- Patting the chicken dry before adding salt and pepper will help the seasoning adhere to the meat and will make the skin more crispy. Don't skip that step!
- Line your baking sheet or roasting pan with foil before adding the chicken. This makes clean-up a breeze.
- Since the size and thickness of chicken breasts can vary greatly, I suggest using a meat thermometer to know when your chicken is done. The meat needs to reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Scale this recipe to feed a crowd! For our family of 5, I typically bake 4 large bone-in chicken breasts (about 6 lbs. total). You do not need to double the sauce ingredients, because you should have plenty extra.
Serving: 4ounces of chicken with skin and ¼ cup sauce | Calories: 353.8kcal | Carbohydrates: 18.6g | Protein: 33.5g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 7.5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 114mg | Sodium: 635.8mg | Potassium: 47.4mg | Sugar: 9.9g