Southern Shrimp and Grits Recipe
This quick Southern Shrimp and Grits recipe is an easy dinner for busy weeknights or a special brunch for a slow Sunday morning!
Servings 4 people
FOR THE GRITS:
- 4 cups water
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits (not instant grits)
- 2 tablespoons butter
FOR THE SHRIMP:
- 6 slices bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup sliced green onions, plus extra for garnish
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Hot sauce, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
COOK THE GRITS:
In a small saucepan, combine water and salt. Boil over medium-high heat, and then slowly stir in the grits. Return to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for about 5-7 minutes (or until thick and smooth); stirring occasionally. Stir in butter at the very end.
COOK THE SHRIMP:
While the grits simmer, fry bacon in a large skillet. Use a slotted spoon to remove the bacon, reserving the drippings in the pan. Add the garlic, green onions, lemon juice and shrimp to the skillet. Season with hot sauce, salt and pepper. Cook just until shrimp are pink. Return bacon to the skillet.
Divide the grits among serving bowls. Top with shrimp, garnish with additional green onions and serve.
- You can purchase instant grits, quick grits, or stone-ground grits. I use quick grits in this recipe, but any variety will work -- you'll just need to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- I love Jumbo shrimp in this recipe (16-20 count per pound), but any size shrimp will work. Leave the tail on the peeled shrimp for a "fancy" touch!
- Make creamy Shrimp and Grits by adding a splash of heavy cream to the skillet with the shrimp at the very end. Allow the cream to bubble and thicken slightly before serving.
- Add 1 cup of grated white cheddar cheese to the grits at the very end (when you add the butter) for cheesy grits.
- Add about 2 cups of sliced mushrooms to the skillet with the garlic and green onions; sauté until tender, and then add the shrimp as instructed.
- Add ½ package of thinly sliced kielbasa sausage to the skillet with the garlic and green onions; sauté until browned, and then add the shrimp as instructed.
- This Shrimp and Grits recipe has just 360 calories per serving and it's packed with filling protein for a nutritious and satisfying meal. The dish is not low-carb or Keto-friendly. The ingredients in this recipe are naturally gluten-free -- just make sure that you check your specific ingredients to make sure that they are not contaminated with gluten.
Serving: 1/4 of the recipe | Calories: 361.6kcal | Carbohydrates: 32.3g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 11.2g | Saturated Fat: 5.2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1.9g | Cholesterol: 199mg | Sodium: 1276.1mg | Potassium: 268.6mg | Fiber: 0.6g | Sugar: 0.3g