Old-Fashioned Strawberry Pie Recipe
Mom's Old-Fashioned Strawberry Pie recipe is a classic easy dessert for the spring and summer months!
Servings 6 - 8 slices
- 1 9-inch deep-dish pie crust, baked*
- 6 cups fresh hulled and halved strawberries, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¾ cup cold water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Optional: few drops of red food coloring
- Optional, for serving: whipped cream or vanilla ice cream
Mash 1 cup of the strawberries and set aside.
In a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, cold water and salt. Stir in mashed berries. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. If using, stir in food coloring. Continue cooking and stirring until thick and clear (about 3 more minutes). Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
Arrange the remaining 5 cups of berries in the baked pie shell. Spoon the glaze over the berries, coating each one.
Place pie in the refrigerator to chill for 1-2 hours. Garnish with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream just before serving.
*I baked my frozen pie crust according to the package instructions. I thawed the crust for 15-20 minutes, pricked all over with a fork, and then baked in a 400 degree F oven for 11-14 minutes, until lightly browned.
- This pie is best when prepared on the same day that you plan to serve it. I do not recommend assembling the pie the night before, because the berries naturally release juices as they sit -- making the crust soggy.
- I like the shortcut of using a refrigerated pie crust or a frozen pie crust, which I bake according to the package instructions. If you prefer, you can use your favorite homemade deep-dish pie crust recipe and blind-bake the crust before filling.
- Use the sweetest, freshest berries that you can find for the sweetest pie! I don't recommend using frozen strawberries in this recipe.
- Garnish the pie with homemade whipped cream, canned whipped cream (such as Reddi-Whip) or whipped topping (such as Cool Whip), if you like. It's also great served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
- You can also use this strawberry pie filling and glaze with a graham cracker crust. Here's an easy, step-by-step recipe to make your own graham cracker crust at home.
Serving: 1/8 of the pie (not including whipped cream) | Calories: 230.8kcal | Carbohydrates: 46.8g | Protein: 1.7g | Fat: 5.5g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.7g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2.1g | Sodium: 159.1mg | Potassium: 189.3mg | Fiber: 2.7g | Sugar: 31.5g