An old-fashioned easy side dish recipe that's ready in just 10 minutes!
Servings 4 people
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas, thawed or about 2 cups canned peas, drained
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup whole milk, half-and-half or heavy cream
Cook peas according to package instructions. Drain and transfer to a bowl.
Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Whisk in flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add milk, stirring for 1-2 minutes (or until thickened).
Pour sauce over warm peas and toss to coat.
- To serve a larger family, double all of the ingredients.
- You can use frozen peas or canned peas. I prefer frozen peas, but if you'd like to use canned peas, you'll need about 2 cups of canned, drained peas that have been warmed or cooked.
- How to cook Le Sueur sweet peas or other canned peas: Empty the contents of the can into a saucepan (including the liquid in the can). Heat on the stovetop just to boiling; drain, and then use in the recipe as instructed. For the microwave, place the contents of the can in a microwave-safe bowl, cover, and heat for about 1 - 1 ½ minutes; drain, and use in the recipe as instructed.
- You can prepare the creamed peas in advance, cover, and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat the peas in a saucepan over low heat, just until warmed through. Add a splash of extra milk or cream to thin the sauce, if necessary.
- I do not recommend freezing the creamed peas. White sauce has a tendency to "break" when thawed, which results in an undesirable texture.
- Add some extra flavor to your white sauce with a dash of garlic powder or fresh herbs like parsley, thyme or basil.
- Add sautéed onion or cooked baby pearl onions, sautéed mushrooms, cooked, chopped bacon, or frozen chopped carrots to the peas and toss with the cream sauce. Depending on how many extra veggies you add, you may need to double the amount of white sauce that you make.
Serving: 1/4 of the recipe | Calories: 105.1kcal | Carbohydrates: 12.5g | Protein: 4.8g | Fat: 4.1g | Saturated Fat: 2.5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1.1g | Cholesterol: 11.5mg | Sodium: 235mg | Potassium: 156.6mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4.9g