7UP Pound Cake
This old fashioned 7UP Pound Cake recipe is a simple Southern dessert that's perfect for just about any occasion!
Servings 16 slices
- ¾ lb. (3 sticks) salted butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups white sugar
- 5 eggs, at room temperature
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest (from about 2 lemons)
- ¾ cup 7-Up soda
- ⅔ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (or more, as necessary)
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about 12-13 minutes). Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each one. Gradually add flour and lemon zest, mixing just until everything is combined. Fold in 7-Up.
Pour batter into a well-greased Bundt cake pan.
Bake for 70-80 minutes (or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean). Cool in the pan for about 20 minutes, and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Once the cake is cool, prepare the glaze by whisking together the powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Add extra lemon juice (1 teaspoon at a time), just until the glaze is thin enough to drizzle over the cake. If the glaze is too thin, add a little bit of powdered sugar until it reaches the desired consistency. Drizzle glaze over cake.
- According to this Southern Living article, you should not try to substitute Sprite or other lemon-lime flavored sodas for the 7UP. The 7UP has a higher level of carbonation than Sprite, which helps the cake rise beautifully!
- Can I make a Bundt cake in a regular pan? Yes. If you don't have a Bundt pan or a tube pan, you can typically use 2 loaf pans. The volume of batter should also fit in either two 9-inch round cake pans or in one 9 x 13-inch pan. I haven't tested this particular recipe in anything other than a Bundt pan, though, so try it at your own risk.
- Remember that when zesting the lemons, you only want to scrape off the very outer peel. This is where all of the essential oils and flavor can be found. You do NOT want to scrape off the white pith, which has a bitter taste.
- Make sure that you spray your Bundt pan really well with cooking spray, or grease with butter and sprinkle with flour. This will prevent the cake from sticking to the pan.
- The pound cake will stay fresh when covered at room temperature for up to 3 days. You can also wrap the cake and store it in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. To extend the life of your cake, wrap it tightly and freeze it for up to 3 months.
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 408.6kcal | Carbohydrates: 58.6g | Protein: 4.4g | Fat: 18.7g | Saturated Fat: 11.4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.9g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5.1g | Cholesterol: 104.5mg | Sodium: 145.8mg | Potassium: 56.8mg | Fiber: 0.8g | Sugar: 41.9g