Crock Pot Ribs
Crock Pot Ribs are seasoned with a dry rub and basted with barbecue sauce for a flavorful, easy dinner recipe that's perfect on busy weeknights!
Servings 4 - 6 people
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 3 lbs. St. Louis-style pork ribs (or substitute with baby back ribs or country-style ribs)
- 1 ½ cups barbecue sauce, plus extra for serving
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke, optional
Spray a slow cooker with cooking spray.
In a small bowl, stir together brown sugar, chili powder, salt, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder. Set aside.
Prepare the ribs by removing the shiny, thin membrane that covers most of the backside of the ribs. To do so, use a knife or fingernail to pry up a corner of the thin membrane from one edge of the ribs. Grab that with a paper towel (for grip) and slowly pull it up. Once a good portion of the membrane is free, you should be able to pull the rest off in one quick motion.
Pat the ribs dry and rub the seasoning mixture onto both sides of the ribs. Place ribs in slow cooker.
Pour barbecue sauce and liquid smoke (if using) over the ribs. Cover and cook on LOW for 9-10 hours.
- While we prefer St. Louis-style ribs, you can also use this recipe with baby back ribs and country-style ribs. If using baby back ribs, decrease the cooking time to 8 hours on LOW to account for the smaller ribs.
- We like Stubbs Original Barbecue Sauce which is slightly spicy and not too sweet, but you can use any barbecue sauce that you prefer. You can also make your own barbecue sauce at home, or try a homemade sauce with Coke!
- If you can't find St. Louis-style ribs at your store, you can use pork spareribs and trim them to be St. Louis ribs. There's a great tutorial in this article if you'd like to trim your own spareribs at home.
Serving: 1/6 of the recipe | Calories: 553.2kcal | Carbohydrates: 17.8g | Protein: 34.2g | Fat: 36.2g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.1g | Cholesterol: 150mg | Sodium: 1213.8mg | Potassium: 35.1mg | Fiber: 0.4g | Sugar: 10.3g