Honey Mustard Chicken
The crispiest, juiciest roasted Honey Mustard Chicken is ready for the oven with just 5 ingredients and 5 minutes of prep!
Servings 4 people
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts or thighs
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary (or ¼ teaspoon dried rosemary)
- ½ teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- Optional garnish: chopped fresh parsley and rosemary
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray. Place the chicken (skin-side up) on the prepared baking sheet. Pat chicken dry with a paper towel and season with salt and pepper.
In a medium bowl, whisk together Dijon mustard, honey, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper. If using chicken thighs, baste the thighs with the mustard sauce before baking. If using chicken breasts, wait until the final 20 minutes of baking to baste with the sauce.
Bake chicken breasts for 45 minutes – 1 hour or chicken thighs for 25-30 minutes (or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F). If your chicken starts to get too dark at any point during the baking process, you can shield the meat loosely with foil (don't wrap tightly) to prevent excessive browning while the meat cooks through.
Garnish with chopped fresh herbs, if desired.
- You can use any chicken parts that your family prefers. We like a combination of chicken thighs (shown here) and chicken breasts, but you can also make Honey Mustard Chicken Wings or Honey Mustard Chicken Legs. Just adjust the baking time for the smaller pieces.
- Even if you don't want to eat the skin, I highly recommend using bone-in, skin-on chicken for this recipe. The skin and bones add so much flavor to the meat (even if you pull the skin off after cooking), and the skin keeps the meat exceptionally moist and juicy! If you must, you can substitute with boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs -- it just won't taste quite as good. You'll also need to decrease the baking time for boneless chicken pieces by about 15 minutes (give or take, depending on the size of your chicken).
- Total cooking time will vary depending on the size and thickness of your chicken. I recommend using a meat thermometer to know when your chicken is perfectly done. The meat is cooked through when it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- I suggest waiting to baste your chicken with the honey mustard sauce until the final 20-25 minutes, since the sugar in the sauce will burn if it's in the oven for much longer. Even if the skin gets a little burned, it's still delicious, though!
- You can use any mustard that you prefer. I like a classic Dijon, but a grainy stone-ground mustard or a regular yellow mustard will also work.
- Don't want to use fresh garlic? Substitute with a dash of garlic powder.
- Don't like rosemary? Substitute with any other herbs that you prefer!
- Chicken thighs are smaller than chicken breasts, so you may need to prepare more than 4 thighs to serve a hungry family of 4!
- Leftover chicken will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Use the meat on a salad, in sandwiches, or to make chicken salad!
- Can you freeze Honey Mustard Chicken? Yes, however, I recommend pulling off the skin and freezing the cooked chicken meat without the skin. The skin will not have the same crispy texture when it's thawed, so you will probably want to discard it. Wrapped tightly, the cooked chicken will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- If you'd like to add potatoes to your dinner, you can easily roast diced red potatoes in the same oven with your chicken. You'll need about 24 ounces of petite red potatoes, quartered or halved (depending on their size). Toss the potatoes with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and bake in the same 425 degree F oven for about 30 minutes, stirring halfway through.
Serving: 1chicken thigh (with skin) with honey mustard sauce | Calories: 197.4kcal | Carbohydrates: 8.7g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 57mg | Sodium: 519.1mg | Potassium: 5.5mg | Sugar: 8.6g