Coated in a smooth, garlic-infused white sauce, this Creamed Spinach recipe is the perfect easy side dish to pair with your next special meal!
Servings 6 - 8 people
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup grated Vidalia onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 cup whole milk, half-and-half or cream, plus extra as necessary
- 15 ounces baby spinach leaves (about 1 ½ large containers), plus extra as necessary
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper, to taste (I use about ½ teaspoon salt and a dash of pepper)
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in onion and sauté for about 3-4 minutes.
Whisk in the flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring. Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Pour in the milk and whisk constantly until the mixture comes to a simmer, about 1-2 minutes (do not boil).
Reduce heat to low; season sauce with nutmeg, salt and pepper; slowly add spinach, stirring until leaves wilt and sauce thickens (about 3-4 minutes). If you prefer more spinach with the sauce, you can add up to 20 ounces; if you like a thinner sauce, add a splash (or more) of milk or cream to reach desired consistency. Adjust the amounts to suit your tastes!
- You can use whole milk, half-and-half, or cream for this recipe.
- This looks like a lot of spinach when it's raw, but the spinach wilts down considerably, so add it to your skillet slowly so that you can fit it all in there!
- If you prefer more spinach in your cream sauce, add up to 20 ounces (2 large containers) of baby spinach leaves to the pan. If you prefer a thinner sauce, add extra milk or cream to the pan. Adjust the amounts until it reaches your desired consistency!
- This creamed spinach recipe is not gluten-free (since it includes all-purpose flour).
- How long does creamed spinach last? This recipe is best when enjoyed right away. That said, you can keep leftovers in the refrigerator for 3-5 days, or at room temperature for up to 2 hours. Allow the leftover spinach to cool completely. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- To reheat creamed spinach: Place spinach in a skillet or saucepan over low heat. Warm just until heated through, adding extra milk or cream, as necessary to thin the sauce.
- This recipe is not low-carb or Keto-friendly, as it includes 8.8 grams of carbohydrates.
Serving: 1/6 of the recipe | Calories: 103kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 19mg | Sodium: 124mg | Potassium: 457mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 6887IU | Vitamin C: 20mg | Calcium: 118mg | Iron: 2mg