Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
Crispy, flavorful roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon, maple syrup, cranberries and pecans are an easy, decadent and delicious vegetable side dish!
Servings 4 - 6 people
- 1 ½ - 2 lbs. Brussels sprouts, yellowed leaves and stems removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ cup pecans, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 strips of bacon, cooked and chopped
- ½ cup dried cranberries
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place a large baking dish or cast iron skillet in the oven while it’s preheating.
Cut small Brussels sprouts in half, or quarter the larger ones. Place butter, olive oil and maple syrup in the bottom of the hot skillet. Add Brussels sprouts, pecans and salt. Stir to combine.
Roast Brussels sprouts in the oven until dark brown and crispy on the outside – about 20 minutes, stirring once or twice during the cooking time. During the final 5 minutes, add bacon and cranberries to the skillet.
- Love Brussels Sprouts with bacon and dates? Swap out the cranberries and use chopped dates instead!
- Make these Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Blue Cheese! Sprinkle with crumbled blue cheese just before serving.
- Swap out the pecans and use chopped walnuts instead.
- To make Brussels Sprouts with bacon and balsamic, add about 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar to the skillet at the same time that you add the oil, butter and maple syrup.
- Should you wash Brussels sprouts before cooking? While sprouts aren't a particularly dirty vegetable, it's always safest to wash them before roasting. To do so, rinse them in a large bowl of cold water. Any dirt or sediment should fall to the bottom of the bowl. Then drain the water and pat the sprouts dry before using.
- You might prefer the sprouts charred until almost black on the outside -- they taste amazing this way (even if they're not as pretty)! If you like the sprouts extra crispy and dark, leave them in the oven for an extra 5-10 minutes.
Serving: 1/6 of the recipe | Calories: 242.7kcal | Carbohydrates: 16.9g | Protein: 5.9g | Fat: 16.9g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8.4g | Cholesterol: 12.8mg | Sodium: 295mg | Potassium: 493.5mg | Fiber: 5.8g | Sugar: 11.5g | Vitamin A: 19.6IU | Vitamin C: 162.1mg