Easy Pumpkin Cake Recipe
Thanks to help from a box of yellow cake mix, this Easy Pumpkin Cake recipe with cinnamon cream cheese frosting comes together in about 10 minutes!
Servings 24 slices
- 1 (15.25 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 1 (3.4 ounce) box vanilla instant pudding mix (the 4-serving box)
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- ½ cup oil
- ½ cup water
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- 1 (16 ounce) can cream cheese frosting
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
Beat cake mix, dry pudding mix, pumpkin, oil, water, eggs, 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and ginger in a large bowl with an electric mixer on low speed just until moistened, scraping the side of the bowl frequently. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, or until well blended.
Pour batter into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
Stir remaining ½ teaspoon of cinnamon into the cream cheese frosting. Spread frosting evenly over cooled cake.
This recipe came from my friend Jackie, who originally adapted it from a recipe published by McCormick spices.
- How long will pumpkin cake last? The cake stays fresh on the counter at room temperature for about 2 days. To extend the life of the cake, cover it and keep it in the refrigerator. The cake will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Can pumpkin cake be frozen? This is a great dessert to make in advance! I recommend freezing the baked cake before adding the frosting. Wrapped tightly, the cake will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to enjoy, allow the cake to thaw on the counter overnight. Frost with the cream cheese frosting, slice and serve!
- Prefer a spicy pumpkin cake recipe? Use a box of spice cake mix instead of yellow cake mix. It will add some extra "zip" to your spiced pumpkin cake!
- Can't find cream cheese frosting at the store? Substitute with a can of vanilla frosting.
- Is pumpkin cake healthy? This is a dessert -- so I definitely wouldn't call it health food! That said, since the single-layer cake only includes a thin layer of frosting, it's relatively low in calories compared to other similar desserts. A small square of the pumpkin cake has just 223 calories!
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 223.7kcal | Carbohydrates: 32.1g | Protein: 1.6g | Fat: 10.3g | Saturated Fat: 1.9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.9g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4.6g | Cholesterol: 23.3mg | Sodium: 228.2mg | Potassium: 47.7mg | Fiber: 0.4g | Sugar: 23.7g