Dump-and-Bake Bratwurst Recipe
You only need 4 ingredients and about 10 minutes of prep for this Dump-and-Bake Bratwurst recipe with potatoes and sauerkraut!
Servings 5 people
- 12 ounces baby red or yellow potatoes, diced into very small bite-sized pieces (I cut the larger potatoes into 8 pieces or the smallest potatoes into 4 pieces)
- 5 bratwurst links (3.8 ounces each), cut into 2-inch pieces
- 14 oz can sauerkraut, drained
- ½ cup beer (or substitute with chicken broth, beef broth, or apple cider)
- Optional for serving: chopped fresh parsley or thyme
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a large baking dish, oven-proof skillet or Dutch oven with cooking spray and set aside.
Place diced potatoes and Bratwurst in the bottom of the prepared dish. Add sauerkraut among the potatoes and sausage.
Pour beer over top. Cover and bake for about 1 hour, or until potatoes are tender and sausage is cooked through.
- For additional flavor, brown the sausage and potatoes in a skillet over medium-high heat until golden on the outside. Then add them to the dish and proceed with recipe as instructed. Baking time may be reduced to about 45 minutes.
- Try this bratwurst recipe in the Crock Pot! Place all of the ingredients in the slow cooker, cover and cook on LOW 6-8 hours or on HIGH for 3-4 hours.
- For an alcohol-free option, substitute apple cider, chicken broth or beef broth for the beer.
- Cooking just for two? Use two sausages (freeze the extras in the package for a later date), and use half as many potatoes and sauerkraut. Bake in a smaller dish, but the rest of the instructions remain the same.
- I baked the brats in an oven-safe cast iron braiser. You can use a similar oven-proof skillet with a lid, or you can simply use a casserole dish or Dutch oven.
- Use a German beer if you have one (such as the Hefe-Weizen shown), but feel free to substitute with a different beer if that's easier!
Serving: 1/5 of the recipe | Calories: 313.1kcal | Carbohydrates: 12.6g | Protein: 15.9g | Fat: 21.1g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 63.6mg | Sodium: 1204.5mg | Potassium: 335.5mg | Fiber: 2.7g | Sugar: 2.8g