Crock Pot Meatloaf
Just set it and forget it! You can "bake" a classic comfort food dinner in your slow cooker with this easy Crock Pot Meatloaf recipe!
Servings 6 - 8 people
- 2 lbs. lean ground beef (I used 93% lean) or “meatloaf mixture” consisting of beef, veal and pork
- 1 cup finely diced onion (I like to use frozen diced onion to eliminate any chopping or prep work, but you can sub with a medium fresh onion and cut it yourself)
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup breadcrumbs (I used Italian seasoned breadcrumbs, but any variety will work)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ¾ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ cup ketchup
Spray slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
Gently combine all ingredients (except ketchup) in a large bowl. Just be careful not to over-mix, or the meat will be tough. I like to use my hands for this!
Shape beef mixture into a loaf and place in the prepared slow cooker.
Spread a thin layer of ketchup over the top of the meatloaf.
Cover and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours or on HIGH for 2-3 hours, or until a meat thermometer inserted in the center of the meatloaf reads 160 degrees F.
Remove meatloaf from slow cooker. Place on a cutting board, slice and serve.
TO PREP AHEAD:
To make ahead, prepare and shape the meatloaf in advance; cover and refrigerate overnight. Place in slow cooker, and cook as directed.
- Every brand/type of slow cooker runs at slightly different temperatures. If you have a Crock Pot that cooks pretty hot, your meatloaf will likely only require about 2 hours on HIGH or 4 hours on LOW. That's why a meat thermometer is such a good tool -- you can turn off the slow cooker when it reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees F and not worry about overcooking the meatloaf.
- Instead of using lean ground beef, you can substitute with a "meatloaf mix" from the butcher (which usually includes ground beef, pork and veal).
- You can use the same Crock Pot Meatloaf recipe to make turkey meatloaf! Just substitute ground turkey for the ground beef. I don't recommend using 99% lean turkey breast, since it will likely be too dry after cooking for a few hours. You want a ground turkey blend that has a bit more fat in it for flavor and texture!
- Make this a Crock Pot Italian Meatloaf by using Italian style breadcrumbs and adding Italian seasoning to the meatloaf mixture.
- If you prefer to use oatmeal as a binder instead of breadcrumbs, that's fine! Just substitute an equal amount of oats for the breadcrumbs called for in this recipe.
- For more flavor, make your meatloaf with dry stuffing mix as the binder instead of plain breadcrumbs.
- Like meatloaf with cheese? Add a handful of grated cheddar (or other good melting cheese) to the meatloaf mixture!
- Have leftovers? You can freeze the meatloaf before or after cooking! Wrap cooked meatloaf tightly and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Wrapped properly, the cooked meatloaf will stay fresh in the refrigerator for at least 2-3 days. The leftovers are great on a meatloaf sandwich!
Serving: 1/8 of the recipe | Calories: 236.9kcal | Carbohydrates: 12.7g | Protein: 24.9g | Fat: 9.6g | Saturated Fat: 3.5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.5g | Cholesterol: 116.5mg | Sodium: 863.4mg | Potassium: 48.7mg | Fiber: 0.6g | Sugar: 2.1g