Crock Pot Mac and Cheese
The easiest, most delicious Southern side dish recipe! This simple combination of milk, cheese, butter, pasta and eggs pairs beautifully with just about any meal -- from a summer barbecue picnic to a Thanksgiving feast.
Servings 10 - 12 people
- 8 ounces dry elbow macaroni pasta
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 ½ cups milk (I used 2%)
- ¼ cup (½ stick) butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt (such as Lawry’s brand)
- Dash of pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 16 ounces (about 4 cups) grated cheddar cheese (mild or sharp is fine), divided
- Optional garnish: paprika; chopped fresh parsley
Boil pasta in salted water just until al dente (or even slightly undercooked), about 1 minute less than called for on the box. Drain.
Spray the liner of a slow cooker with cooking spray. Add all of the ingredients, except ½ cup of the grated cheese, to the slow cooker and stir to combine. Sprinkle the reserved cheese over top.
Cover and cook on LOW for 3 hours and 15 minutes – do not stir while it’s cooking.
Garnish with paprika and parsley just before serving.
Recipe slightly adapted from Trisha Yearwood.
- Can you cook Crock Pot Mac and Cheese on HIGH? Yes, you can cook this mac and cheese on the "HIGH" setting for about 90 minutes, but remember: all Crock Pots cook at slightly different temperatures. If you have a slow cooker that runs hotter than average, it may be done sooner. Similarly, a Crock Pot that cooks at a lower temperature may take a bit longer. Just keep your eye on it and be sure that you don't overcook the pasta.
- Can I make Crock Pot Mac and Cheese the night before? To prep the mac and cheese in advance, I recommend boiling the pasta the night before (and rinse it under cold water after draining to remove some of the starch and prevent sticking). Keep the cooked macaroni in the refrigerator overnight, along with the grated cheese and other ingredients. When ready to start cooking the next day, add all of your prepared ingredients to the slow cooker insert as instructed below!
- How to reheat Crock Pot Mac and Cheese: you can reheat the macaroni and cheese in the slow cooker on the "WARM" setting.
- This recipe calls for cheddar cheese, but you can also use any combination of cheeses that you prefer. My boys love mild cheddar, but adding some sharp cheddar, pepper jack, gouda, white cheddar, gouda, fontina, gruyere or even Velveeta would also be delicious.
- Try substituting rotini pasta for the elbow macaroni.
Serving: 1/12 of the recipe | Calories: 325kcal | Carbohydrates: 19.7g | Protein: 16.3g | Fat: 20.5g | Saturated Fat: 12.5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.8g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5.7g | Cholesterol: 93mg | Sodium: 582.4mg | Potassium: 201.2mg | Fiber: 0.7g | Sugar: 5.2g