Stuffed Cabbage Roll in a Bowl
All of the delicious flavors of your favorite old fashioned dish come together in a lighter, faster, one skillet meal! This Stuffed Cabbage Roll in a Bowl is a quick and healthy dinner with just 10 minutes of prep!
Servings 4 people
- 1 lb. ground beef, ground turkey, ground chicken or ground sausage (I used extra lean ground beef here)
- 1 small sweet onion, finely diced
- ½ of a large head of cabbage, roughly shredded or chopped (about 8 cups total)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed tomato soup, NOT diluted (I used Campbell’s Healthy Request)
- ¼ cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- For serving (optional): cooked rice or riced cauliflower
- Optional garnish: chopped fresh parsley
Heat a little bit of olive oil in a Dutch oven or a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground meat and the onion to the pot; cooking and stirring to break up the meat until the meat is no longer pink (about 5-7 minutes). Drain; return meat and onion to pot.
Add cabbage, diced tomatoes, tomato soup, beef broth, salt, garlic powder and pepper.
Bring to a boil; cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer (covered) for about 25-30 minutes, or until cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally. If it looks like there is too much liquid in the pot, remove the lid and allow the cabbage to simmer uncovered during the final 5-10 minutes. Season with additional salt and pepper, to taste.
Serve over cooked rice, if desired. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley.
- These healthy stuffed cabbage rolls omit the rice, so there are just 255 calories in each large portion. The recipe yields a total of about 7 cups, so each serving size is about 1.75 cups. For an even more filling meal, serve the cabbage mixture over rice or riced cauliflower.
- I've shown ground beef here, but you can make Chicken Stuffed Cabbage Rolls by using ground chicken, or try substituting with ground turkey or ground sausage.
- Can I make Stuffed Cabbage Rolls ahead of time? Yes! This dish can be prepared in advance and then reheated throughout the week for quick lunches or dinners.
- How to reheat Stuffed Cabbage Rolls: individual portions of this cooked cabbage mixture can be reheated in microwave-safe bowls in the microwave for about 1-2 minutes, or until warmed through. To reheat a larger portion, place the leftovers in a skillet or large saucepan and warm (uncovered) over low heat.
- Can you freeze Stuffed Cabbage Rolls? You can freeze the leftover cooked cabbage mixture; however, the cabbage will be more watery and mushy when thawed. It's not my preference!
- Cooking just for two? Cut all of the ingredients in half. The rest of the instructions remain the same.
Serving: 1/4 of the recipe | Calories: 255.4kcal | Carbohydrates: 25.6g | Protein: 29.1g | Fat: 5.5g | Saturated Fat: 1.9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.5g | Cholesterol: 65.7mg | Sodium: 1104.5mg | Potassium: 903mg | Fiber: 6.3g | Sugar: 15.2g | Vitamin A: 800IU | Vitamin C: 93.2mg | Calcium: 120mg | Iron: 4.1mg