Doritos Taco Salad
This retro favorite is a blast from the past! If you're a child of the 80's, then you've definitely enjoyed this Doritos Taco Salad on a number of different occasions. It's an easy dinner recipe and a crowd-pleasing party food that always wins rave reviews!
Servings 8 people
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 (1 ounce) packet taco seasoning
- ⅔ cup water
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 cups Doritos Nacho Cheese tortilla chips, coarsely crushed
- 8 ounces French salad dressing
Cook ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat until meat is no longer pink. Drain and return to skillet. Stir in taco seasoning mix and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer uncovered for 3-4 minutes (stirring often), until thickened. Set aside to cool.
Place lettuce in a large bowl. Add onion, beans, corn, tomatoes and cheese. Toss.
Add ground beef, Doritos and dressing. Toss gently to combine and serve immediately.
- Iceberg lettuce is our favorite in this retro classic, but you can substitute with romaine lettuce or other mixed greens if you prefer. We just love the refreshing crunch of the iceberg!
- I always use French dressing (you can't beat the sweet, creamy taste when paired with the zesty taco meat), but you can substitute with Catalina, Ranch, or any other dressing that you prefer.
- If you prefer, you can substitute an equal amount of ground chicken or ground turkey in lieu of the beef.
- I always use the classic Nacho Cheese flavored Doritos in this recipe, but Cool Ranch Doritos will also work well!
- Add any of your other favorite taco ingredients, such as diced avocado, fresh cilantro or sliced olives!
- Cooking for a smaller family? Cut all of the ingredients in half! The rest of the cooking instructions remain the same. If you prefer to cook a full 1-lb. of taco meat, you can save half of the cooked taco meat in the freezer for another meal.
Serving: 1/8 of the salad | Calories: 433kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 57mg | Sodium: 845mg | Potassium: 634mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 1360IU | Vitamin C: 12.8mg | Calcium: 211mg | Iron: 3.1mg