Southern Potato Salad
A picnic or cookout would not be complete without this delicious Southern Potato Salad! The easy side dish recipe is a crowd pleasing classic!
Servings 12 servings
- 2 lbs. (about 8 medium) red potatoes or Yukon Gold potatoes
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 ½ cups mayonnaise (I like Duke's brand)
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- ½ of a sweet Vidalia onion, diced
- 1 large celery rib, diced
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish (or sub with dill pickle relish if you prefer)
- Optional: 3-4 slices of crispy cooked, chopped bacon
- Garnish: sliced green onions, chopped fresh parsley, or a sprinkle of paprika
Rinse and scrub the potatoes. Place the whole potatoes in a large pot of salted water. Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are fork-tender (about 15-20 minutes, but very small red potatoes may be done in 10 minutes). Drain; let the potatoes cool until you can handle them. Peel the potatoes and dice into bite-size pieces.
In a separate bowl, mix mustard, sugar, mayonnaise and pickle juice. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.
Place diced potatoes in a large bowl. Add eggs, onion, celery, pickle relish and bacon (if using). Pour dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
Chill in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours. Garnish with sliced green onion, fresh parsley, or a dusting of paprika just before serving.
Can I make potato salad in advance?
Yes! You can prepare the salad 1-2 days in ahead. Keep the salad covered in the refrigerator until you're ready to serve it.
How long will potato salad keep in the refrigerator?
If your potato salad has been sitting out at room temperature (or in the hot summer weather at a picnic) for more than 2 hours, you should discard any leftovers.
Potato salad that has been kept properly chilled will stay fresh in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
How much potato salad for a crowd?
This recipe yields 6 cups of potato salad, or about 12 (½-cup) servings. If you need Southern Potato Salad for 25, I suggest that you double the recipe ingredients. To feed 100 people, multiply the recipe ingredients by 4.
- Use Yukon Gold potatoes or other waxy potatoes in lieu of the red potatoes.
- Boil the potatoes whole. Do NOT dice or peel the potatoes before they go in the water. Cutting or dicing the potatoes causes them to release steam while cooking, which will result in a mushier potato.
- Substitute dill pickle juice and dill pickle relish for the sweet pickles if you prefer a more savory dressing.
- Add fresh herbs of choice, including chopped fresh chives or chopped fresh dill.
- If you prefer a potato salad without eggs, simply omit the hardboiled eggs and add an extra potato instead.
- Stir in some diced pimentos for a colorful Southern addition to the potato salad.
- Add crispy chopped bacon to the salad for even more flavor.
Serving: 0.5cup | Calories: 267kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 39mg | Sodium: 250mg | Potassium: 366mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 95IU | Vitamin C: 6.8mg | Calcium: 15mg | Iron: 0.8mg