Garlic and Herb Grilled Chicken Breast
This flavorful Garlic and Herb Grilled Chicken Breast is an easy and healthy dinner recipe!
Servings 6 people
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
For the Marinade:
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh herbs (I used a combination of rosemary, thyme and parsley, but fresh basil, chives, oregano or cilantro will all work well)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
Place the chicken in a large zip-top plastic bag. Set aside.
In a bowl or measuring cup, whisk together all of the marinade ingredients until completely combined.
Pour marinade into the bag with the chicken. Seal the bag and gently toss to make sure that the chicken is completely coated in marinade. Refrigerate for 2-4 hours.
When ready to cook, remove chicken from the bag and discard marinade.
Heat a nonstick pan, grill pan, or outdoor grill over medium-high heat. Coat grill or pan with about a teaspoon of oil so that the chicken doesn’t stick. Sear or grill chicken on each side until golden, crispy and cooked through (about 5 minutes per side for small, thin chicken breasts or up to 10-12 minutes per side for larger, thick chicken breasts). The meat is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
Allow meat to rest for about 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Two hours is the perfect amount of time to marinate the chicken. You can leave the meat in the marinade for up to 4 hours, but I don't recommend marinating for much longer than that. Too much time in the acidic marinade can cause the chicken to become mushy.
- Pick your favorite herbs! I used a combination of rosemary, thyme and parsley; however, fresh basil, chives, oregano or cilantro would all work well.
- You can use this grilled chicken marinade for chicken thighs as well.
- For a shorter cooking time, cut large chicken breasts in half lengthwise to create thinner pieces of meat.
- To bake the chicken breast in the oven, remove the chicken from the marinade and bake in a 425 degree F oven for 30-40 minutes (for thin, small chicken breasts) or about 45-55 minutes for very thick, large chicken breasts.
- Prepare this grilled chicken breast on the stove by using a nonstick skillet or griddle, or an indoor grill pan. Heat the pan on the stovetop over medium-high heat and cook the chicken according to the instructions below.
- Since the size and thickness of chicken breasts can vary greatly, I suggest using a meat thermometer to know when your chicken is done. The meat needs to reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Wrapped tightly, the grilled chicken breast will keep in the fridge for up to 1 week. You can also store the chicken in an airtight container or wrapped tightly in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Serving: 1/6 of the chicken and marinade | Calories: 264kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 96mg | Sodium: 682mg | Potassium: 598mg | Vitamin A: 255IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 19mg | Iron: 0.9mg