Serve this Texas Caviar for a satisfying salad or scoop it up with tortilla chips for a healthy, flavorful dip. It’s a crowd pleasing side dish recipe that comes together in just minutes!
Servings 24 (¼-cup servings)
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (11 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- ¼ cup sweet onion, diced
- Optional garnish: fresh cilantro, fresh parsley, squeeze of fresh lime juice
- For serving: pita chips or tortilla chips
In a saucepan, whisk together vinegar, oil, sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, whisking occasionally. Remove from heat and cool completely (at least 30 minutes).
In a large bowl, combine black-eyed peas, corn, bell peppers and onion. Add cool dressing and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours (or overnight).
Drain off any excess dressing just before serving.
Garnish with fresh herbs or lime juice, if desired, and serve with pita chips or tortilla chips.
- This Texas Caviar recipe uses apple cider vinegar, but you can substitute with regular white vinegar in a pinch.
- The Cowboy Caviar dressing is made with vinegar and sugar. You can increase or decrease the amount of sugar in your dressing, to taste. As written, this is just a slightly sweet dressing – it’s not overpowering.
- Make Texas Caviar with Black Beans: you can substitute black beans for the black eyed peas in this recipe. If you like, try a combination of both black beans and black eyed peas by using 1 can of each!
- Prepare Cowboy Caviar with Avocado by adding diced avocado to the salad just before serving.
- Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro, sliced green onion, fresh parsley, or a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
Serving: 0.25cup | Calories: 74kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 2g | Sodium: 98mg | Potassium: 117mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 205IU | Vitamin C: 11.1mg | Calcium: 7mg | Iron: 0.7mg