Dump-and-Bake Chicken Penne Pasta Recipe
You don't even have to boil the pasta! For an easy dinner with just 10 minutes of prep, stir together this Dump-and-Bake Chicken Penne Pasta Recipe and let the oven do the work!
Servings 4 people
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed cheddar soup (NOT diluted) (I used Campbell’s Healthy Request)
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth or water
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- ½ cup diced onion
- ½ lb. raw boneless,skinless chicken breasts, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 ½ cups dry uncooked penne pasta about 5 ounces dry
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together condensed soup, milk, chicken broth, thyme, salt and pepper. Stir in mushrooms, onion, raw chicken, and uncooked pasta.
Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 35 minutes.
Remove foil and give everything a stir in the dish. Stir in sour cream, and sprinkle cheese over top. Return to the oven and bake, uncovered, for 5-10 more minutes, or until pasta is tender and chicken is cooked through.
Let the dish stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.
COOK'S TIPS AND RECIPE VARIATIONS:
- Keep this penne pasta recipe easy by using a package of sliced mushrooms (less prep work!) and pre-sliced chicken breast if you can find it in your grocery store. You can also use frozen pre-diced onion to avoid any chopping!
- Make the penne pasta recipe vegetarian by omitting the chicken and substituting with a can of drained, rinsed beans or additional vegetables. Nice options include peas (stir frozen peas in during the final 10 minutes of baking), frozen mixed vegetables, or steamed crisp-tender broccoli florets.
- Make this penne pasta recipe with tuna or canned salmon in lieu of the chicken.
- Can't find the cheddar cheese soup? Substitute with condensed cream of mushroom soup instead!
Serving: 1/4 of the recipe | Calories: 371kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 62mg | Sodium: 720mg | Potassium: 959mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 310IU | Vitamin C: 3.1mg | Calcium: 232mg | Iron: 1mg