Chili Con Carne
This easy Chili Con Carne recipe works well on the stovetop or in the slow cooker for a simple, healthy and cozy dinner that suits your busy life!
Servings 8 cups
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoon finely minced or grated garlic
- 1 ½ lbs. (24 ounces) lean ground beef
- 1 (28 ounce) can Redpack diced tomatoes, NOT drained
- 8 ounces (about 1 cup) Redpack tomato sauce
- ½ cup Redpack ketchup
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1-2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 bay leaf
- Optional: dash of cayenne pepper
- Optional, for serving: cornbread; corn chips; cheese; sour cream; sliced green onions/chives; cilantro; avocado; diced red onion
For the Stovetop:
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. When the oil shimmers, add the onion and cook about 5 minutes or until it begins to caramelize around the edges. Stir in the garlic and cook another minute. Add the beef and brown all over, breaking up the meat as you go, about 5-7 more minutes. Drain fat and return beef mixture to the pot.
Stir in remaining ingredients. Simmer, covered, on low heat for about 1-1 ½ hours.
Remove bay leaf. Ladle the chili into bowls and garnish with optional toppings.
For the Slow Cooker:
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the oil shimmers, add the onion and cook about 5 minutes or until it begins to caramelize around the edges. Stir in the garlic and cook another minute. Add the beef and brown all over, breaking up the meat as you go, about 5-7 more minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat. Drain fat.
Transfer the beef mixture to a slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Cover and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours or HIGH for 2-3 hours.
Remove the bay leaf. Ladle the chili into bowls and garnish with optional toppings.
Can you freeze Chili Con Carne?
Absolutely! This is the perfect freezer meal! Prepare a batch of Chili Con Carne, allow it to cool to room temperature, and then package in airtight containers. It will keep well in the freezer for at least 2 months.
COOK'S TIPS AND RECIPE VARIATIONS:
- This is a Chili Con Carne recipe with ground beef, but you can substitute with an equal amount of ground turkey or ground chicken if you prefer.
- Fresh herbs or chopped onions on top of the chili add a bright burst of flavor that contrasts nicely with the rich, hearty stew.
- Try garnishing with sour cream or grated cheese for a cool, creamy texture.
- You can prepare the Chili Con Carne in advance and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months!
- To make meal prep faster, try browning the beef mixture over the weekend (or the night before) and keeping the cooked beef in your refrigerator. On the day that you're ready to cook your Chili Con Carne, you will just need to stir all of the ingredients together in your slow cooker or pot -- no prep work necessary!
- Want a Chili Con Carne with no beans? You can substitute with a can of corn kernels or you can increase the ground beef to 2 pounds.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 255kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 52mg | Sodium: 796mg | Potassium: 913mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 635IU | Vitamin C: 14.8mg | Calcium: 69mg | Iron: 5.4mg