Dump-and-Bake Chicken Pot Pie Pasta
You don't even have to boil the pasta or pre-cook the chicken for this easy Dump-and-Bake Chicken Pot Pie Pasta!
Servings 4 people
- 1 can 10.5 ounces condensed cream of celery soup (NOT diluted) (I used Campbell’s Healthy Request)
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- ½ cup diced onion I used frozen diced onion as a shortcut
- ½ lb. raw boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 ½ cups uncooked rotini pasta about 4.5 ounces dry
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables not thawed
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 2-quart baking dish (such as an 8-inch square pan or a small rectangular dish like I used) with cooking spray and set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together condensed soup, milk, chicken broth, and thyme. Stir in onion, raw chicken, and uncooked pasta.
Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish. Cover tightly and bake for 30 minutes.
Remove foil and stir in the frozen mixed vegetables. Cover with foil, return to the oven and bake, covered, for 25-30 more minutes, or until pasta is tender and chicken is cooked through. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Cooking Just for Two? Cut all of the ingredients in half and prepare the recipe in a 1-quart baking dish. The cooking instructions remain the same.
How to Adapt the Chicken Pot Pie Pasta to Suit your Family's Preferences:
- Make sure that your dish is tightly covered during baking -- you don't want the steam to escape because the pasta needs to absorb that liquid.
- Dice the chicken into small bite-sized pieces, which will ensure that it cooks through in the same amount of time as the pasta cooks.
- Wait for 30 minutes before stirring in the frozen vegetables. They don't need as long to cook, so this keeps them nice and crisp-tender, rather than mushy and over-cooked.
- Give the dish a good stir before serving, and the sauce will continue to thicken slightly as the dish rests. Enjoy!
- Use chicken thigh meat instead of boneless, skinless breasts;
- Swap out a different short pasta shape for the rotini (such as penne);
- Mix and match your favorite veggies!
Serving: 1/4 of recipe | Calories: 205kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 39mg | Sodium: 210mg | Potassium: 449mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 2375IU | Vitamin C: 8.9mg | Calcium: 58mg | Iron: 1mg