Strawberry Spinach Salad
A fresh, easy and simple Strawberry Spinach Salad with Poppyseed Dressing. This salad is bursting with flavor and is a great addition to any meal.
Servings 6 side dish servings
FOR THE POPPY SEED DRESSING (Yield 1 ½ cups of dressing):
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup salad oil such as canola oil or avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion flakes
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
FOR THE SALAD:
- 10-12 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 cup mandarin oranges drained
- 1 avocado diced
- ¼ cup crumbled feta, goat or blue cheese
- ¼ cup sliced, toasted almonds
PREPARE THE DRESSING:
Combine all dressing ingredients except poppy seeds in a large jar with a lid, in a blender, or in a food processor. Shake or mix until completely combined.
Add the poppy seeds and give it another good shake. Set aside and refrigerate until ready to use.
ASSEMBLE THE SALAD:
Arrange spinach in a large serving bowl. Top with strawberries, oranges, avocado, cheese, and almonds. Drizzle some of the dressing over the salad, to taste, and serve immediately.
- Why not make this salad into a main dish by adding some grilled chicken
- To keep it vegetarian try adding some hard boiled eggs for extra protein
- I used feta cheese for this but a crumbly goats cheese or even blue cheese would also work really well
- Instead of toasted almonds, you could use cashews or walnuts
- Make sure to use fresh strawberries and not frozen. If you don't have fresh try using another berry
- Both the salad and dressing can be prepped in advance just store them separately and toss together just before serving
Serving: 1/8 of the salad plus 1 tablespoon dressing | Calories: 171.5kcal | Carbohydrates: 15.8g | Protein: 2.3g | Fat: 11.6g | Saturated Fat: 1.3g | Cholesterol: 3.2mg | Sodium: 166.4mg | Fiber: 2.3g | Sugar: 12.8g