Dump-and-Bake General Tso Chicken
It's baked, not fried! This Dump-and-Bake General Tso Chicken is a lighter, healthier version of the Chinese restaurant classic. With just one dish and about 10 minutes of prep, the easy dinner recipe is even better than take-out!
Servings 4 servings
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 ½-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons finely minced fresh garlic I like to use a squeeze bottle of minced garlic from the produce section as a shortcut
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes add more for a spicier dish or omit for a mild dish
- ¼ cup peanuts
- Optional garnish: sliced green onions toasted sesame seeds
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray a medium baking dish with cooking spray (I have used a deep 9-inch by 6-inch dish and an 11-inch by 7-inch dish, and both work well).
Place chicken in the prepared dish. Sprinkle with cornstarch and toss to coat.
In a separate bowl, whisk together chicken broth, brown sugar, hoisin sauce, sesame oil, salt, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes. Pour sauce over chicken and stir to combine.
Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Stir, return to the oven for 5-10 more minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and sauce has thickened.
Remove from oven, stir in peanuts. Season with additional salt and red pepper flakes, to taste. Garnish with sliced green onions and sesame seeds just before serving.
Cooking Just for Two? Cut the ingredients in half and bake the chicken in a smaller dish. The cooking instructions remain the same.
- Use good quality chicken and if you can't get breasts you can also use boneless and skinless thighs
- Don't skip the hoisin sauce it's important for flavor
- Also, try not to skip the sesame oil as it will taste less authentic
- Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for 2-3 days
Serving: 1/6 of the recipe | Calories: 291kcal | Carbohydrates: 30.1g | Protein: 36.3g | Fat: 5.3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 88.3mg | Sodium: 314.4mg | Fiber: 0.6g | Sugar: 20.9g