3-Ingredient Scottish Shortbread Cookies
These 3-Ingredient Scottish Shortbread Cookies come from an old family recipe that has been passed down for generations, and they're perfect for holiday baking!
Servings 20 cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, not sifted
- 1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter, softened
- ½ cup powdered sugar (also called confectioners' sugar)
Preheat oven to 325°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats; set aside.
In the large bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine flour, softened butter, and powdered sugar. Mix on medium speed until completely combined and a soft dough forms. The mixture will look dry and crumbly at first, but let the mixer keep running for a few minutes and the dough will eventually form into a soft ball.
Roll out dough on a lightly-floured surface (to about ¼-inch thickness, or slightly thicker).
Use cookie cutters, biscuit cutters, or a sharp knife to cut out desired shapes. Place shapes on prepared baking sheets. Pierce with a fork.
Bake for 20 minutes, or until just lightly browned.
Cool on a wire rack.
- Remember to soften the butter at room temperature. Cold butter will not blend easily into the other ingredients, so I like to leave the butter on my counter overnight before I plan to make the dough the next day.
- Use salted butter for the best flavor. If you only have unsalted butter in your kitchen, you'll want to add a pinch of salt to the dough to balance the sweetness and give the cookies a more complex flavor.
- Keep mixing! The dough will look dry and crumbly at first, but let the mixer continue to run and the dough should come together in a nice, soft ball. It will have the texture of Play-Doh, so it's easy to work with and not too sticky.
- Pierce the dough with a fork before baking. Poking holes in the top of the shortbread dough allows the heat to evenly penetrate the dessert, which helps the cookies bake evenly.
Serving: 1cookie | Calories: 138.6kcal | Carbohydrates: 12.5g | Protein: 1.4g | Fat: 9.3g | Saturated Fat: 5.8g | Cholesterol: 24.8mg | Sodium: 65.6mg | Fiber: 0.3g | Sugar: 3g