Loaded with hash browns, cheese, sour cream, onion, and kielbasa, this Sausage Casserole is a hearty, one dish meal with very little prep work!
Servings 8 servings
- 1 (30 ounce) package frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed (about 12 ½ cups total)
- 1 (14 ounce) package fully-cooked polish sausage (such as Hillshire Farm Polska Kielbasa)
- 1 ½ cups grated sharp cheddar cheese (about 6 ounces total)
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream, at room temperature
- 1 medium onion, very finely diced
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup (NOT diluted)
- Optional garnish: chopped fresh herbs or sliced green onions
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish and set aside.
Cut sausage into slices, and then into quarters (so that you have small bite-sized pieces).
In a large mixing bowl, stir together all of the ingredients until completely combined.
Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish.
Bake, uncovered, for about 40 minutes (or until hot, bubbly, and lightly browned on top).
- Add sautéed vegetables, such as bell peppers, tomatoes, or mushroom.
- Instead of cheddar cheese, try other good melting cheeses such as Colby, Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack, Colby Jack, Gouda, or Velveeta.
- Cooking for a Smaller Family? Cut all of the ingredients in half and bake the casserole in an 8-inch square dish.
- Instead of kielbasa, use cooked bacon, chicken, turkey or diced ham. You can also use a different kind of cooked sausage, such as breakfast sausage, Italian sausage, or even hotdogs!
- Find your largest bowl for mixing the ingredients!
- Dice the onion into very small pieces so that it softens and becomes tender while the casserole bakes.
- When possible, use a block of sharp cheddar cheese that you grate by hand, rather than a package of pre-shredded cheese. The hand-grated variety melts smoother into the casserole.
- Allow the sour cream to come to room temperature. Very cold sour cream has a tendency to curdle or separate when heated quickly.
- Garnish with sliced green onion or fresh herbs such as parsley, chives, basil or thyme.
Serving: 1/8 of the recipe | Calories: 371kcal | Carbohydrates: 31.7g | Protein: 17.1g | Fat: 20.7g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 67.6mg | Sodium: 963.5mg | Fiber: 4.2g | Sugar: 3.9g