Southern Fried Apples
Southern Fried Apples are a simple side dish or light dessert, and they're ready in 15 minutes! Cinnamon, sugar and butter turn the fresh fruit into a delicious, down-home treat!
Servings 4 - 6 servings
- 4 medium Granny Smith apples
- 6 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
Peel, core and slice the apples. Set aside.
Melt butter over medium-low heat in a large, heavy skillet. Add sugar, cinnamon and salt; stir to combine.
Add apples and cook, stirring regularly, until just tender (about 8-10 minutes). Be careful not to overcook the apples, or they will become mushy. You want them to be firm to the touch, but a bit tender on the inside.
- While we prefer Granny Smith apples in this recipe, you can also use another firm baking variety -- including Honey Crisp, Braeburn or Pink Lady. Or try a combination of your favorites!
- The buttery cinnamon sauce will create a thin glaze on your apples. There will be extra sauce in the dish, so serve with a slotted spoon or spatula. If you prefer a thick sauce, make a cornstarch slurry by stirring together ½ teaspoon cornstarch with ½ teaspoon cold water. Add the cornstarch slurry to the skillet during the final 2 minutes. Stir and simmer until sauce thickens.
- Make sure to slice the apples into even pieces so that they cook evenly as well!
- Love more warm spices? Try adding a dash of nutmeg or use the blend of apple pie seasoning for extra flavor.
- For a touch of tang, add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice to the melted butter mixture.
- Can you freeze Southern Fried Apples? Yes! You can definitely freeze these apples, but they will have a slightly mushy texture when thawed. To freeze, allow apples to cool to room temperature. Seal in an airtight container or Ziploc bag, and the apples will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- How long can fried apples sit out on the counter? These apples can stay at room temperature for up to 2 hours. After that time period, you will need to freeze or refrigerate the apples.
- How long will fried apples last? The apples will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- To reheat fried apples: Place the apples and sauce in a saucepan or skillet and cook over low heat, just until warmed through. Alternatively, place the apples and sauce in a microwave-safe bowl, cover, and cook in the microwave just until warm.
- Serving a larger family? Just multiply the recipe to prepare as many apples as you need. You can fry them in batches.
- Cooking just for two? Cut the ingredients in half and prepare a smaller portion of apples.
Serving: 1/6 of the fried apples and sauce | Calories: 229.8kcal | Carbohydrates: 33.7g | Protein: 0.4g | Fat: 11.7g | Saturated Fat: 7.4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3.1g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 180.1mg | Potassium: 135.3mg | Fiber: 3.1g | Sugar: 29.3g