Dump-and-Bake Penne alla Vodka
This delicious pasta dish comes together in only 10 minutes, you don't even have to boil the pasta. This Penne alla Vodka so comforting and perfect for weeknights!
Servings 8 servings
- 1 22 ounce jar Alfredo sauce (about 2 ½ cups)
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup vodka or substitute with an additional ¼ cup of chicken broth
- 1 16 ounce package uncooked penne pasta
- 1 28 ounce can petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 9 slices cooked chopped bacon (I buy the package of cooked bacon and just use kitchen shears to cut it in small pieces right over the dish – no cutting board necessary!)*
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella or Italian blend cheese
- Optional: Parmesan cheese and fresh chopped herbs such as basil, oregano, or parsley for garnish
Preheat oven to 425F (220C).
In a large 13 x 9-inch baking dish, whisk together Alfredo sauce, chicken broth, and vodka until completely combined. Stir in the uncooked pasta, diced tomatoes, bacon, and garlic. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes.
Uncover; stir. At this point you should check the pasta to make sure that it is al dente (firm but just about finished cooking). If it’s still a bit too hard, cover the dish and return to the oven until pasta is al dente. Then move on to the next step.
Sprinkle mozzarella over the top. Bake uncovered for about 5 more minutes (or until cheese is melted).
Garnish with freshly grated Parmesan or fresh chopped herbs, if desired.
Cooking Just for Two? You can easily prepare a smaller casserole by cutting all of the ingredients in half and baking in an 8-inch square dish. Cooking time and instructions should remain the same.
*For a vegetarian option, you can omit the bacon entirely, or you can substitute with about 1-2 cups of frozen peas. Stir in the frozen peas towards the end of the baking time (just before topping the casserole with the shredded cheese) so that they stay nice and green and don't get too mushy.
Serving: 1/8 of the recipe | Calories: 344kcal | Carbohydrates: 52.6g | Protein: 12.2g | Fat: 9.9g | Saturated Fat: 3.4g | Cholesterol: 32.6mg | Sodium: 963mg | Fiber: 7.8g | Sugar: 4.7g