Applesauce Pumpkin Muffins
Sweet, moist, warmly-spiced Applesauce Pumpkin Muffins come together with 1 bowl and just 10 minutes of prep!
Servings 12 muffins
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- ½ cup applesauce
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- Optional, for topping: coarse sugar
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners. Set aside.
In a large bowl, stir together sugar, oil and eggs. Add pumpkin, applesauce and vanilla. Sprinkle baking soda, baking powder and salt over top. Stir until well blended.
Stir in flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice and ginger; be careful not to over-mix.
Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle coarse sugar on top. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in a muffin comes out clean.
- You only need 1 cup of the pumpkin puree -- do not use an entire can.
- Make sure that you use a can of 100% pure pumpkin puree, which is different from canned pumpkin pie filling. The pure pumpkin puree is unsweetened and doesn't include any spices or other seasonings.
- I recommend using either canola oil or vegetable oil. You want a neutral oil that will not flavor the bread, so don't use olive oil. Feel free to substitute with melted butter if you prefer.
- Use a thick applesauce to produce a thick, rich muffin batter. I like this homemade recipe, but store-bought applesauce is fine, too!
- Sift the flour to avoid any big clumps in your batter.
- Be careful not to over-mix the batter. You want it to come together so that everything is combined, but then stop stirring! Mixing too much will result in dry, dense muffins.
Serving: 1muffin | Calories: 242kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 27mg | Sodium: 249mg | Potassium: 99mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 3217IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 21mg | Iron: 1mg