Grandma's Baked Eggplant Parmesan
My grandmother's easy Baked Eggplant Parmesan is a delicious vegetarian dinner that only requires 15 minutes of prep!
Servings 2 - 4 people
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- ½ cup Corn Flakes cereal crumbs
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Dash of pepper
- 1 small eggplant
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 2 ounces (½ cup) shredded mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
Pour melted butter into a 11 x 7-inch baking dish. Set aside.
Place egg in a shallow dish. Set aside.
In a separate shallow dish, combine Corn Flakes crumbs, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Set aside.
Peel eggplant and cut into ¾-inch thick slices. Dip each slice in egg and coat with crumb mixture. Place in a single layer in the prepared baking dish.
Bake for 20 minutes; flip the slices over and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
Pour marinara sauce over eggplant and top with mozzarella cheese. Bake for 3 more minutes, or until cheese is just melted.
- Look for a small eggplant, which tends to have the sweetest flavor.
- This dish serves 2-3 people as an entrée. You might be able to stretch it to serve 4 people if you're also offering a heartier side dish like pasta. If you're feeding a bigger family, I recommend using 2 eggplants, doubling all of the other ingredients, and baking the eggplant in a 9 x 13-inch dish or on a larger rimmed baking sheet.
- Corn Flakes are the best option for breaded eggplant. You can substitute with panko breadcrumbs, but they are definitely not as crispy and they're lacking the flavor that you get from the crushed cereal.
- Use the best quality, most flavorful marinara sauce. I recommend Rao's brand sauce, which does not include any added sugar. If you prefer to make your own sauce, try this easy marinara recipe.
- Garnish with fresh herbs like parsley or basil if you have some on hand!
Serving: 1/4 of recipe | Calories: 262.9kcal | Carbohydrates: 21.6g | Protein: 10.4g | Fat: 16.1g | Saturated Fat: 8.5g | Cholesterol: 82mg | Sodium: 792.2mg | Fiber: 3.9g | Sugar: 4.6g